Date: 6/26/18 10:42 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons And Then The Rains Came! Tuesday 6-26-18
Hello Bird People,

I have birded the various sections of Skokie Lagoons for 30 years but
I'd never gone south of Willow Road before. I'd seen a trail going
that way but had never taken it as I've always had more than enough to
cover just by going north of Willow Rd. But based of the reports by
Jeff Bilsky I decided to check out the new (for me) area south of
Willow. However, for a careful look I'll have to go again as I was
drenched by rain when I was all the way to Winnetka Rd & had to return
in the rain which was not much fun to say the least. So this report is
short as you don't see as many birds in the rain as you do when it's
not raining. I'll have to try again on a rain free day.

Skokie Lagoons South Of Willow Rd (7-8:30 a.m. but in the rain from 8 a.m.)

Green Heron (1)
Rock Pigeon (5)
Mourning Dove (2)
Flicker (2)
Eastern Pewee (H-1)
Great Crested Flycatcher (H-1)
Barn (4) & Cliff (1) Swallows
Blue Jay (4)
Chickadee (2)
Wood Thrush (heard 1 singing just before the rain started)
Robins (10)
Starling ( a few)
Warbling Vireo (H-2)
Cardinal (H-2)
Indigo Bunting (1)
Song Sparrow (4)
Red Wings (4)
Grackle (2-3)
Goldfinch (2)

I did not see as many birds as Jeff B gets & did NOT find the Yellow
Billed Cuckoo(s) that he had but part of that is due to the rain &
part to the fact that I don't see birds as well as Jeff B.

Stopped at Techny North just to see what it looked like with all the
rain we've had & water levels are high & with more rain coming I'd say
it'll be flooded here for a while. Hopefully it will be o.k. when the
shorebirds start returning in mid July.

Again not much to pick from but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the Green Heron &
Runner-Up to the Cliff Swallow flying under the bridge along Willow Rd.

Most interesting event of the day (besides getting soaked) was walking
a big Bull Frog along the bridge area of Willow Rd so that it would
not jump into the road & get squished. It could not get over the
barrier of the bridge so I kept it hopping until it reached an opening
& got to safety.
Mission accomplished & the frog will live another day.

Al Stokie (Frog Guardian)

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional