Date: 6/26/18 9:58 am
From: Nathan Pieplow <npieplow...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Brewer's Sparrow, Guanella Pass, Clear Creek County
Just a quick reminder that the majority of birders DO own recording
equipment -- a cell phone! There are plenty of free apps that will turn
your cell phone into an audio recorder. It doesn't matter a whole lot which
app you use, since the quality of the recording is generally determined by
the quality of the microphone in your phone. Those microphones are designed
for the human voice at 2 inches, not a bird at 200 yards, but a bad audio
recording of a bird is better than no recording at all!

I own a couple different sets of recording equipment, but the phone is the
one that's on me at all times. It came in super handy a couple weeks ago
when I found a White-eyed Vireo singing while I was walking the dogs. And I
pull it out every time I hear a Red Crossbill fly over, so I can document
the call type. It's a good habit to get into.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder