Date: 6/26/18 9:20 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Anhinga report, Freetown (FB-MARBA)
Hi MassBirders,

Posted within the past hour by Dan Berard in the FaceBook group “Massachusetts Rare Bird Alert”:

"My coworker just spotted an Anhinga flying/circling high over East Freetown. We watched it for about 5 mins as it headed south.
I took a few cell phone photos and a video"

He posted the photos, which unfortunately are so distant that they don’t really clearly establish the bird’s identity. As often happens with phone photos of distant birds… He followed up in a comment:

“… the flight is pretty disctinctive.

The bird was an immature, white front and the tail band was easy to see in the field.

When he said “Hey Dan, what’s this bird soaring with a long neck?” I thought it might be something weird."

So, watch the skies, especially if you’re in that part of the state!

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA