Date: 6/26/18 8:49 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Unaccompanied minors
It would be nice if Canada's national bird were called the Whiskeyjack.
That"s the name my father always used. He went to high school in Ottawa for
two years and spent a lot of time outdoors. To the Anglo ear
"whiskeyjack"sounds undignified, but it's a vast improvement over "camp
robber" which has very wide currency in Oregon. I first heard "camp
robber"on the lips of a black logger camped at Mud Springs beside Bull
Prairie in Lake County. I was seven and never dreamed a "camp robber" was a
Gray Jay as the AOS encourages us to say. I wonder why I never asked my dad.
I must have eventually made the connection when reading Jack London.
The possibility that the Gray Jay may be split would restore"Oregon Jay",
giving our state a single epoymous bird with full species status. And then
there would be "Canada Jay", victorious,peaceful and glorious to the Anglo
ear. But I have been led to believe that whiskeyjack shares with chipmunk
and raccoon an Algonkian origin. I believe that would make a single native
American name among the top eight hundred on the AOS list. Of course there
is the etymology of "Oregon", but that doesn't involve a bird. Three
juvenile charcoal gray Gray Jays without adults just visited our cat food.
One caught a fly on the wing with the grace of an adult Peewee. They've
been out of the nest for two weeks. How can a creature learn so fast?lpn

Join us on Facebook!