Date: 6/26/18 7:08 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Eagle check etc.
Sunday evening we walked to the neighbor's to check on the eagles.
Both youngsters were sitting on a high branch in the nest tree.  After a
while one of them took off.  They are getting to be quite the
accomplished flyers.  The meadow had been mowed so we walked to the
Shenandoah which was quite high and muddy. Nothing on the water but tons
of swallows, Tree, Rough-winged and Barn.  Also saw a Kingbird on a
mound of hay.  A small flock of Cowbirds was finding seeds or insects on
the ground as well.  I was happy to see lots of blooming common milkweed
along the edge of the field.   On the way down I noticed the lone female
Turkey that we often run across.

Last night's temperature was quite nice for our walk to check on the
Eagles.  Turned out to be quite interesting with all kinds of wildlife.
There was a doe in the road ahead of us.  She disappeared into the brush
when a rabbit pops out.  That ran in the road for a bit before hopping
into the brush.  Next a squirrel jumps out and waits for us to get
closer.    We continued on our dog walk.  I was lost in thought,
marveling at the unusually blue color on the other side of the river.
The Blue Ridge Mountains lived up to the name for sure.  All of a sudden
there was a rustling on the side of the road and a tiny fawn stands no
more than 5 feet in front of us.  No doubt it belonged to the doe we saw
earlier.  We finally did get over to my neighbor's.  From the edge of
their front yard I could see an adult eagle in the meadow below.  The
nest tree looked empty but a few minutes later one of the eaglets flew
out of it.

Yesterday morning the three Phoebe youngsters in the subdivision next
door were sitting on top of the nest looking down at me.  I didn't think
they had long to go before leaving and, sure enough, when I checked this
morning the nest was empty.  Safe travels to the family.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!