Date: 6/26/18 6:03 am
From: Jeff Blalock via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Birding along the Southside Border
Greetings all

On Sunday 24 June 2018, I started birding in Brunswick Co along Hwy 58E towards Emporia and made a few stops trying to hear owls and Goatsuckers but didn’t get any until I got into Greensville Co making my way south along some country roads. At one stop I did get 3 EWPW calling and at another stop I reported 2 Barred Owls but I really think it could have been 3 calling.

As I made my way south I made several stops finding both RE and WE Vireos and Pine, Prairie, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, Ovenbird and Prothonotary Warblers.

My favorite stop of all was on Creek Rd at the creek which is as wide as some rivers. There was a pull off just before the bridge on the right and as soon as I stopped the car was covered with Deer Flies. Boy I thought that this was going to be fun. But the flies stayed at the car and I didn’t have a single bite from them. At the creek it was nice and cool and not a bug one. Here I saw Downy, RB Woodpecker, a GB Heron and a confirmed breeding BG Gnatcatcher. I scanned all around the creek and along both sides of the roads looking for YCNH as Freddy Collins and myself saw one in the month of June one year about 30 years ago when we were trying to find the MIKIs in the area of which we never got them but Shirley and I went down and found one on a dirt road in Virginia and followed it into NC. Unfortunately it wasn’t a Life Bird having seen my first MIKI at Cape Romain NWR in SC so I didn’t record the date only adding a 1 onto my Excel Spreadsheet that I use to keep up with the birds seen in each state. This was way before eBird and I used it to get my totals for my reporting my Total Species seen in each state for the ABA.

So after leaving the creek and as I was driving the road slowly with my windows down I heard a Tanager and so I stopped hoping to confirm Breeding but only could record sing male. Before getting back in the car I scanned the skies and found a flock of Vultures flying around and with them nearby were 2 Mississippi Kites. Got you for Greensville Co now almost were I saw them 30 years ago.

I followed the county roads and soon made my way into Northampton Co NC which is south of Southampton VA.

I birded along Hwy 186 starting at the VA/NC border and drove west making a few stops and at one I got my eBird MIKI for NC.

After a few miles I made a 180 and drove back to the VA border entering Southampton Co and I drove some of the county roads stopping where I could find a safe place to pull partly off the road.

I found another wonderful creek on Clarksbury Rd with two good pull offs and I looked on both sides of the road and did get a GB Heron and heard my only 2 Wood Thrush for the day.

Other highlights include
A calling Northern Bobwhite at the intersection of 622 & 625 Creek Rd

A RS Hawk at the Creek on Creek Rd and a RT Hawk on Hwy 186 in NC

By the time I started to head for home and something to eat as I left without eating my breakfast and only eating my snack bars it was getting a little warm at 95 degrees but the humidity was low and I haven’t even worked up a sweat but overall a much enjoyable day but felt that if I stayed longer I might have been able to get a few birds that I would have like to have seen but didn’t such as Osprey and Bald Eagle.

Oh well now that gives me a reason to return.

Good Birding Always

From my iPhone

May God Bless and Keep You

Jeff Blalock