Date: 6/25/18 8:40 pm
From: Nathan Dubrow <nathan.dubrow...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Recent Mt. Desert Rock Sightings
Hi all,

This summer, I'm set up on Mt. Desert Rock 18+ miles off of MDI recording
sightings of Cetaceans, seals, and birds for College of the Atlantic. I've
only been here for 4.5 days, but it's already been pretty amazing out here.
First off, our first whale and dolphin sightings pf the season were today
with a Fin Whale and at least 2 dolphin sp. seen 10+ miles to the SW.

Then come the birds.

Yesterday 6/24/18 seemed to be a fairly slow day with a few Sooty and Great
Shearwaters until I noticed a largish dark bird sitting on the water. After
a couple of minutes it flew and turned out to be a South Polar Skua (more
details and photos in this
checklist) https://ebird.org/atlasme/view/checklist/S46776654

Then today, with 19-21 mph winds coming out of the NNW, I figured it would
be a good day for shearwaters, and I turned out to be right. I birded from
the lighthouse for most of the morning and had great results which
included: 102 Sooty Shearwaters, 123 Great Shearwaters, 1 Cory's
Shearwater, 2 Northern Fulmars, 24 Northern Gannets, and 6 Wilson's
Storm-Petrels (low due to moderate waves). Later on as sunset came, a Ruddy
Turnstone landed and a Manx Shearwater came within 200 ft of the eastern
shore, which was quite a treat. Here's the checklist for
today: https://ebird.org/atlasme/view/checklist/S46798844

Other regulars include Common Murres, Black Guillemots, Atlantic Puffins
and the occasional Razorbill for alcids. Both Common and Arctic Terns make
daily appearances. A Red-breasted Nuthatch has also been around since last
Thursday and possibly longer.

Stay tuned for more as the season progresses.

Good Birding,
Nathan