Date: 6/25/18 6:46 pm
From: Norman Erthal <normerthal...>
Subject: [cobirds] Birding South Africa

Hi,

Posting of these announcements have been previously approved by the CFO
Board

I have a trip to South Africa on October 24 through November 11. It had
filled from an earlier announcement. Due to an additional cancellation, I
have up to 2 spaces available. Estimated cost is about $4,600. This does
not include the flight to Johannesburg. I expect we should see well over
400 species with nearly 100 endemic to South Africa and adjacent countries
and of course, many mammals and other critters. We will have experienced
local guides with a bus and driver. If you are not able to take advantage
of this trip, PLEASE forward to anyone you think might be interested. The
cost includes all lodging, meals, and drinks.

Day 1 Tue Oct 22: Arrive in Johannesburg. Night in Johannesburg

Day 2 Wed Oct 23: Recovery day and maybe some light birding near the city.

Day 3 Thu Oct 25: Day in the thornveld of Rust-de-Winter area and
Zaagkuilsdrift Road for Southern Carmine Bee-eater, Shaft-tailed Whydah,
and Greater Painted-Snipe. Sunset 6:15 pm. 2 hours to Kgomo-Kgomo. Night in
Bela Bela. Birding from vehicle and on foot.

Day 4-5 Fri-Sat Oct 26-27: To Polokwane. Sunrise 5:30 am. Drive to
Polokwane Reserve for birding in grassland, reedbeds, and riverine bush on
26th. All day at the mountains and Afro-montane forest at Magoebaskloof and
at New Agatha Forest Reserve for Bat Hawk for second day. Nights at Kurisa
Mayo Lodge. Birding generally on foot.

Day 6-7 Sun-Mon Oct 28-29: Early morning birding on second day depending on
if we have missed anything then drive 3 hours to the amazing Kruger
National Park. Night at Punda Maria Camp in north end of Kruger NP. Birding
in Kruger will be mostly by car, although there are some trails and birding
within the camp compound will also be done. Will do a night drive.

Days 8-9 Tue-Wed Oct 30-31: Kruger National Park. Travel to southern Kruger
through the National Park birding on the way. Nights at Satara Rest Camp in
Kruger NP. Will do a night drive.

Day 10 Thu Nov 1: To Wakkerstroom Early morning at Kruger then a 7-hour
drive south to Wakkerstroom with a stop at Abel Erasmus Pass for the very
rare Taita Falcon and a possible stop in Swaziland for the rare Blue
Swallow. Night in Wakkerstroom. Driving and walking. Night in Wakkerstroom.

Day 11 Fri Nov 2: Wakkerstroom. Day at Wakkerstroom in grassland and
wetlands with primary targets being two very local lark species, Rudd’s and
Botha’s as well as White-bellied and Blue Bustards. Night in Wakkerstroom.

Day 12 Sat Nov 3: Mkuze Game Reserve. Early morning at Wakkerstroom then a
3-hour drive to Mkuze Game Reserve for it's acacia savanna, sand forest,
riverine forest. Night at Gooderson DumaZulu Lodge in Hluhluwe. Walking and
several blinds.

Day 13 Sun Nov 4: Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve. Driving, walking in low
elevation grassland and coastal scarp forest, and maybe a boat cruise.
Night at Gooderson DumaZulu Lodge in Hluhluwe.

Day 14 Mon Nov 5: Saint Lucia area. Visit nearby coastal dune forest, lakes
and estuary of the Saint Lucia system and iSimangaliso Wetland Park. Night
drive in Eastland shores section of iSimangaliso. Night at Gooderson
DumaZulu Lodge in Hluhluwe. Livingstone’s Turaco, Woodward’s Batis,
Neergard’s Sunbird. Driving and walking.

Day 15 Tue Nov 6: We will visit the coastal forests of Ongoye Forest and
Dlinza Forest with a canopy walkway. Night in Eshowe.

Day 16 Wed Nov 7: Visit the coastal lowland Entumeni Forest and Amatikulu
Reserve. Night in Durban at Faraway Lodge

Day 17 Thu 18 Nov 8: Durban Pelagic. In addition to birds, especially
highlights of albatross, there can be whales, dolphins, and fur seals.
Depart at 7 and return between 2 and 3. Night in Durban at Faraway Lodge

Day 18 Fri Nov 9: Karkloof Mountains Sunrise 5:04 am. Here we will travel
in spectacular terrain in mist belt forest and high altitude grassland.
Possible sites are Darvill Park, Karkloof Conservancy and Hella-Hella Pass.
Walking and canopy tour. Night in Himeville.

Day 19 Sat Nov 10: Sani Pass and Lesotho. Night in Underberg Sunset 6:16
pm. Take 4-wheel vehicles to Lesotho for alpine grassland and protea
savanna. Driving and walking. Night in Himeville. Start at 6 am and
conclude about 5:30.

Day 20 Sun Nov 11: Bird at Marutswa Forest in the morning or other location
depending on what we have not seen. Drive to Johannesburg 6 hours with
possible stop at Marievale near Johannesburg, Evening flight home.

Day 21 Nov 12: Arrive home

Norm Erthal 303-917-2596

Arvada CO