Date: 6/25/18 6:37 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Black-crowned Night-heron, Butler County
A few days ago on 6/21, David Fowler reported a juvenile Black-crowned Night-heron at Glade Run Lake in southern Butler County. His checklist with picture is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46703084

This strikes me as quite an unusual June record, as I thought that Black-crowned Night-herons hadn't bred in western PA for some time, or at least not during the 2nd atlas. Are they breeding somewhere in western PA since the 2nd atlas? Could this bird have fledged early in the season and already dispersed quite a distance and shown up at Glade Run Lake? The habitat there is quite attractive for Night-herons and a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-heron was found at this site last summer, however at quite a later date. Or should it be assumed that the species is breeding at Glade Run or nearby?

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County