Date: 6/25/18 12:59 pm
From: Kristen Lindquist <kelindquist...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Monhegan weekend, 6.22-6.25.18
I spent the past 3-1/2 days out on Monhegan, and while I wasn't birding per
se, I did keep track of everything I saw or heard (mostly heard) while I
was there. Most of my time was either in the village or in Cathedral Woods.
Noted 38 species total, probably could have turned up more if I'd picked up
my binoculars.

Highlights were seeing some youngsters, including a nice creche of Common
Eiders (12 chicks with 5 hens), several Herring Gull fuzz ball chicks in
the nests below White Head, and the big surprise: 3 pheasant chicks on the
trail near Pebble Beach! (A surprise because no one has seen a female out
there for several years, and I didn't hear any males there at all this
spring and was wondering if they had all died out.) Also, spotty teenager
robins looking like Fieldfares and parent Blue Jay feeding whiny fledgling
Blue Jay.

Other birds that might be of interest as breeding species out there:

Laughing Gull
Tree Swallow
Swainson's Thrush -3 + singing in woods
Winter Wren - 3+ singing in woods
Cedar Waxwing
Red Crossbill - flock of ~12 in woods
Co. Raven - very vocal pair
White-throated Sparrow - of course

No. Parula - 3
Yellow Warbler - 6+
Black-and-white Warbler -1
Nashville Warbler - 1
Am. Redstart - 3
C. Yellowthroat - many
Black-throated Green Warbler - many, as expected

‚ÄčKristen‚Äč

--
Kristen Lindquist

website: www.kristenlindquist.com
haiku blog: klindquist.blogspot.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama