Date: 6/25/18 8:20 am
From: Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <FCollins...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Budgerigar eBird Submissions
Thank you Joe and Joseph,

I was not aware of the eBird definition. Unfortunately it has me a bit confused when it comes to both Budgerigar and Peacock. There is no doubt that both species populations that occur in the United states are a result of domestic birds that escaped or maintained in some sort of at-liberty situation.

The domestic lineage of the highly domesticated Budgerigar undoubtedly has contributed to this birds failure to establish itself as did the Monk Parakeet that descended all from recently imported wild birds. Regardless of what a free flying Budgie looks like it’s heritage is from long domesticated stock.

The Peacock is a bit different. Most birds observed show little or no influence of their domestic heritage. Peacocks are not all that domesticated and many bird keepers prefer the normal peacock to a white or pied one. Peacocks have been subjected to little selective breeding beyond calmness and perhaps low dispersal attributes. They are far less numerous and have a longer generation period which slows their domestication.

Yet, if I use eBird’s definitions as I understand it, even though we know these birds to be domestic in origin, just like the rock pigeon, if they exhibit the plumage of the native form they should not be reported as domestic.

BELOW is the quote from EBird

This option *should not* be used to report birds that are identical to wild birds but that you presume to be escapees. Importantly, our "domestic type" is a distinct lineage for these birds and not a value judgment of whether you believe it recently escaped from a cage or pen. This is often mis-used in eBird, so please try to understand this distinction before reporting domestic types in eBird. domestics are generally not counted on eBird lists, but there are two exceptions. Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) is used to represent the wild, free-flying pigeons that occur in cities worldwide, and it distinct from Rock Pigeon (Wild type), which is much rarer and of conservation status in many regions (read more here<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/rock-pigeon/>). Muscovy Duck (Established Feral) is to be used for feral type birds (white, or blotchy, often with oversized red warty protuberances on the face) that are considered established parts of the avifauna in areas such as Florida; the Muscovy Duck is unusual since it also has an option for Muscovy Duck (Domestic type) which does not count on lists but is phenotypically identical.

A confused Aggie,

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377