Date: 6/24/18 11:26 pm
From: Roger Freeman <freemanbecard...>
Subject: [obol] Warbler Song Help
This string of earlier communications regarding the warbler recording that
Caleb submitted a week ago, is interesting to me as I have a similar
warbler call. I have not been able to actually see the warbler as it sings
from high up in older Douglas Firs, but I have been able to get fairly
close to record. There were some clear cautionary notes made, and well
received, by some regarding making a non-visual identification of certain
warblers in the tall canopy and dense forest in the coast range ... but I
suspect its a HERMIT WARBLER. This would be the west foothills of the
Cascades, east of Silverton OR, at about 700' with a lot of 50 -100+ year
old Douglas Fir intermixed with a few open patches of brush and pasture.
Most of the xeno-canto recordings of Hermit Warbler don't match mine well,
but there is one that does, as shown below. STILL, apparently the person
recording did not get validation by actual sighting.
First the xeno-canto recording made in southern Arizona, and then the one I
made from my yard.

https://www.xeno-canto.org/370892

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/4/s/?view=att&th=1643305b0b85c0c7&attid=0.2&
disp=attd&realattid=29bbbce84c30a845_0.1&safe=1&zw

Thoughts appreciated!

Roger Freeman
Silverton OR

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Caleb Centanni <caleb...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Setophaga warbler songs are one of the areas I still struggle with. The
> attached is a medium-quaility recording of one from Fishback Hill west of
> Monmouth in Polk County yesterday. If anyone can ID it for my education,
> that would be awesome. You may have to turn your volume up to hear the bird
> well.
>
> Thanks, and good birding,
>
> Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!