Date: 6/24/18 10:41 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Steller's Jay Behavior
This behavior is know as 'sunning' and is found in a great many birds. It
involves exposing as much of the feather surface,
especially the bases of the feathers (normally covered by other feathers)
to bright sun.
I have seen it over many years perhaps 10=20 times in many species During
the process the bird can seem to go into a trancelike state.
It can also occur with dust bathing (especially in quail) in my experience.
If you search 'sunning' (also called sunbathing) you can find a variety of
reasons but I don't think the true reason is known and there may
be more than one benefit.. Sunning for warmth does not agree with what
I've seen as it often happens during very weather.
Bob OBrien Carver OR

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Nature's Coast Oregon <
<info...> wrote:

> I am so glad to see this question posted! After observing what I think
> might be the same behavior in my back yard by a Steller's Jay I call
> "lonesome" (because jays usually come in pairs, but he doesn't) numerous
> times throughout the spring, I videotaped a few of his "episodes" (is he
> lovelorn? overheated? simply spasmodic?) and forwarded the short edit below
> to several of my in-the-know birder friends. As none of them have replied,
> I have been left to wonder if nobody knows, or if maybe everybody (except
> me) knows, with the answer so well-known that my question didn't warrant an
> answer.
>
> So I remain humbly mystified. Below is a link to the video — does anyone
> know what this silly bird (and perhaps another just like him somewhere near
> Cape Meares, per Marg's post) is doing???
>
> STELLER'S JAY BEHAVIOR <https://youtu.be/omHYY3eJT7s>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Howard Shippey
> South Beach
>

> ----- message from Marg <mtweel...> -----
> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 17:47:22 -0700
> From: Marg <mtweel...>
> Subject: [obol] *Steller's Jay behavior*
> To: <obol...>
>
> My neighbor had a steller's jay in his yard for several days on the
> ground with wings spread out. It would come to the same place every day.
>
> What caused that behavior? is it something about insects?
>
> Marg Tweelinckx Cape Meares

Join us on Facebook!