Date: 6/24/18 10:02 pm
From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Steller's Jay Behavior
Howard and Marg:

The jays you both are observing are likely engaged in a behavior called
"anting." Here's a link to wikipedia, but you can probably find more
extensive information by googling the term:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anting_(bird_activity)

Good birding and thanks for sharing your observations,

Philip Kline

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018, 9:52 PM Nature's Coast Oregon <info...>
wrote:

> I am so glad to see this question posted! After observing what I think
> might be the same behavior in my back yard by a Steller's Jay I call
> "lonesome" (because jays usually come in pairs, but he doesn't) numerous
> times throughout the spring, I videotaped a few of his "episodes" (is he
> lovelorn? overheated? simply spasmodic?) and forwarded the short edit below
> to several of my in-the-know birder friends. As none of them have replied,
> I have been left to wonder if nobody knows, or if maybe everybody (except
> me) knows, with the answer so well-known that my question didn't warrant an
> answer.
>
> So I remain humbly mystified. Below is a link to the video — does anyone
> know what this silly bird (and perhaps another just like him somewhere near
> Cape Meares, per Marg's post) is doing???
>
> STELLER'S JAY BEHAVIOR <https://youtu.be/omHYY3eJT7s>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Howard Shippey
> South Beach
>

> ----- message from Marg <mtweel...> -----
> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 17:47:22 -0700
> From: Marg <mtweel...>
> Subject: [obol] *Steller's Jay behavior*
> To: <obol...>
>
> My neighbor had a steller's jay in his yard for several days on the
> ground with wings spread out. It would come to the same place every day.
>
> What caused that behavior? is it something about insects?
>
> Marg Tweelinckx Cape Meares

Join us on Facebook!