Date: 6/24/18 9:52 pm
From: Nature's Coast Oregon <info...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Steller's Jay Behavior
I am so glad to see this question posted! After observing what I
think might be the same behavior in my back yard by a Steller's Jay I
call "lonesome" (because jays usually come in pairs, but he doesn't)
numerous times throughout the spring, I videotaped a few of his
"episodes" (is he lovelorn? overheated? simply spasmodic?) and
forwarded the short edit below to several of my in-the-know birder
friends. As none of them have replied, I have been left to wonder if
nobody knows, or if maybe everybody (except me) knows, with the answer
so well-known that my question didn't warrant an answer.

So I remain humbly mystified. Below is a link to the video — does
anyone know what this silly bird (and perhaps another just like him
somewhere near Cape Meares, per Marg's post) is doing???

STELLER'S JAY BEHAVIOR[1]

Thanks in advance,

Howard Shippey
South Beach

-----  message from Marg <mtweel...> -----
    Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 17:47:22 -0700
    From: Marg <mtweel...>
Subject: [obol] STELLER'S JAY BEHAVIOR
      To: <obol...>

My neighbor had a steller's  jay in his yard for several days on the
ground with wings spread out.  It would come to the same place every
day.

What caused that behavior?  is it something about insects?

Marg Tweelinckx  Cape Meares

Links:
------
[1] https://youtu.be/omHYY3eJT7s