Date: 6/24/18 8:08 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Donovan Reservation, Hamilton, Jun 24, 2018
This new Greenbelt acquisition is now a hotspot in eBird. The entrance
is on Candlewood Rd. a mile or so south of Rt. 133. (You turn onto this
road from 133 at the Candlewood Golf Course). There is a Greenbelt sign
on the left (if you are driving south) and a parking lot just up the
driveway. The sign is a bit obscured by foliage, but if you drive
slowly enough you will see it just past a tiny vernal pool, also on the
left.

Donovan Reservation (Sagamore Hill), Hamilton
Jun 24, 2018 8:55 AM - 11:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: I walked a loop to the hilltop and back to the parking
lot. I saw and heard a lot, but zero jays, crows, cuckoos, wood
thrushes, tanagers, buntings, or savannah or field sparrows.
37 species

Red-tailed Hawk 1
Herring Gull 1
Mourning Dove 6
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Eastern Kingbird 3
Warbling Vireo 1
Barn Swallow 6
Black-capped Chickadee 5 One pair fed young in cavity at top of
5-foot snag in open field. I couldn't see in well enough to see more
than one young.
Tufted Titmouse 6
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 1
Eastern Bluebird 2
Veery 2
American Robin 13 2 or 3 carrying food
Gray Catbird 22 1 or 2 carrying food
Northern Mockingbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 9
Ovenbird 2
Common Yellowthroat 13 one male carrying food
American Redstart 2
Yellow Warbler 4
Chipping Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 13
Eastern Towhee 6
Northern Cardinal 2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Bobolink 14 Much chasing, courtship, and an attempted copulation.
Orchard Oriole 6 I saw one group of 2 adult males and a female
chasing each other, and, elsewhere, a female feeding 2 fledglings.
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 26 many alarmed and carrying food
Common Grackle 1
Purple Finch 1
American Goldfinch 18
House Sparrow 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46770457
--
Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!