Date: 6/24/18 6:36 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Rock Wren
Made my annual late June pilgramic to the top of Mt Bolivar (4,345 about
1,400’ from trailhead in about 1.3 miles- fun to walk up without hardly
stopping for old timers like me) in the very SE edge of Coos. Left at
o’dark thirty and made it to trailhead a bit after sunrise. The ROCK WREN
on the south side of the summit made it very worthwhile as normal. Views of
Mt Shatsa, McLoughlin, Thielsen, and the Crater Lake Rim always make the
climb special. Had about five Nashville’s a tough warbler in Coos. Several
Townsend’s Solitaire’s and many Dusky Fly’s in the burnt snag forest on the
peak. Only finches were Purples although I have had one June Cassin’s?!
Scads of the clearcut warbler (you know who) and an entire meadow (Eden
Valley) filled with ripe strawberries (hmmmmmm).

Temps in upper 60’s at sunrise at trailhead, 86F at Powers at 1PM, and a
balmy 66F in Coos Bay when I got back around 3PM! The air conditioning was
on : )

Happy summer birding!
Tim R
Coos Bay