Date: 6/24/18 3:29 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Two hikes today in Stratham and Newmarket
Took a couple of hikes today in southeastern NH.  One around the Great
Bay Discovery Center in Stratham.  We walked down the trail, around the
board walk, and then all the way down the railroad tracks to the salt
marsh and the trestle bridge.

Later we walked a short distance down the Rockingham Rail Trail in
Newmarket. Accessed from the trail head down Ash Swamp Road near Route
108 and the Rockingham Station.

Here are a few photos and complete lists:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

Great Bay Discovery Center, Greenland, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
Jun 24, 2018 9:24 AM - 11:07 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.31 mile(s)
Comments:     Long walk.  Including walk down RR tracks to trestle
bridge and salt marsh.
42 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard  10
Double-crested Cormorant  7
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  4     Including bird on nest.
Bald Eagle  1     Adult flew over from Shackford Point and landed on
Sandy Point side.
Virginia Rail  3     At least 3 from both sides of board walk!  One came
and gave good views.
Herring Gull  1
Common Tern  5
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3     1 juvenile
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  3
Tree Swallow  8
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
House Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  1
Veery  3
Gray Catbird  8     Including ONE LEUCISTIC BIRD.  Seen down railroad
tracks toward bridge.  Pale mocha color.  Very distinctive.  But no camera!
Cedar Waxwing  4
Ovenbird  2
Common Yellowthroat  4
Pine Warbler  1
Nelson's Sparrow  1     Heard singing and seen well.  Chased by
Saltmarsh Sparrow.
Saltmarsh Sparrow  1     Seen well.  At one time side-by-side with Nelson's.
Nelson's/Saltmarsh Sparrow (Sharp-tailed Sparrow)  1     At least one or
two birds not seen well.
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  4
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Red-winged Blackbird  7
Common Grackle  4
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  7

Rockingham Rail Trail, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
Jun 24, 2018 11:38 AM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.93 mile(s)
Comments:     Mid-afternoon hike in to beaver dam pond and back.
Overcast with some sunny breaks in mid-70s.
43 species

Great Blue Heron  4     Three nestlings in nest.  One adult nearby, but
did not go in to nest while we were there.  Young birds seem small for date.
Green Heron  4     Seemingly everywhere! They all seemed to be adults,
although I can't say for sure.
Osprey  2     One adult at nest.  Another nearby.  Female sitting on
edge and looking in and covering nest as if there were young in it;
however, we could not see any heads stick up above the edge.
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  2
Barred Owl  3     I hooted one or maybe two birds in to trail. Then two
(more?) birds hooting in distance.  Kept on hooting long after we left
them at noon time!
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  10     Includes nest with 4 young.  Low nest with
parents coming in repeatedly to feed.
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  2     Carried food to nest hole.
Veery  1
Wood Thrush  3     One bird carrying food.
American Robin  4     Bird carrying food in to nest.
Gray Catbird  4
Cedar Waxwing  2
Ovenbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  2
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  2
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Baltimore Oriole  2
Red-winged Blackbird  1
Common Grackle  2     Bird incubating on nest.
Purple Finch  1
American Goldfinch  9

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA