Date: 6/24/18 1:56 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Six Species Of Shorebirds On June 24th At Waukegan & Illinois Beach South Sunday 6-24-18
Hello Bird People,

Sort of cheating a little as 1 of the shorebird species was Woodcock
but still usually all you'd get at this date would be Killdeer &
Spotted Sandpiper. But we had one Dunlin at Waukegan plus the 2
Piping Plovers & at Illinois Beach South we added Black Bellied
Plover. It's hard to say if the Dunlin & Black Bellied Plover are late
Spring migrants or early Summer/Fall migrants but the Dunlin had a bad
leg & may have been delayed in it's trip north. I was with Bob
Erickson today & we saw Mark Waller
briefly at Illinois Beach South & Paul Sweet as we left that location.

Waukegan Beach (6:15-7:15 a.m.)

Canada Geese (74)
Wood Duck (3)
Mallard (2)
LEAST BITTERN (1 making a short flight. Usually it's Bob who sees
these short flights but today I was the lucky one)
Killdeer (1)
PIPING PLOVER (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (5)
DUNLIN (1, as mentioned with a limp)
Ring Billed (~40) & Herring (19) Gulls
Caspian Tern (10)
COMMON TERN (8 flying out to "defend" the colony with its electric
fence to keep out predators)
Mourning Dove (4)
Tree (3), Cliff (1) & Barn (10-12) Swallows
Willow Flycatcher (H-1)
Marsh Wren (H-4)
Robins (6 on the lawns)
Dickcissel (H-1)
Red Wings (15) & Grackles (3)
BREWER'S BLACKBIRD (1-M, probably visiting from the Illinois Beach
nesting group)

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:45-9:30 a.m.)

BLACK BELLIED PLOVER (1, in about half breeding plumage)
Killdeer (4)
Woodcock (flushed 1)
WHIP-POOR-WILL (1, this is the 2nd time in my life one flew by for no
reason & we got to see it)
Eastern Pewee (H-2)
Great Crested Flycatcher (H-1)
Robins
Gray Catbird (H-1)
Warbling Vireo (H-1)
Chat ( H-1, along the river)
Eastern Towhee (2)
Cardinal (H-1)
Field Sparrow (2)
Red Wings (5)
Eastern Meadowlark (2)
BREWER'S BLACKBIRD (3-4)
Goldfinch (2)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Whip-Poor-Will which you seldom see in the daylight &
Runners-Up to the Dunlin & Black Bellied Plover which were surely unexpected.
But we all like the unexpected!

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>