Date: 6/24/18 9:18 am
From: <vagapaddler...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] Big Spring Creek and tributaries
MOB,

With several inches of rain in the last ten days I have been staying pretty close to home on paved or well graveled roads. Sad to say, I have not noticed any activity at the House Wren house since last Thursday.

Best bird in two trips to East Fork Reservoir, one of the four flood control impoundments above Lewistown, was a first summer male American Redstart on Friday, followed closely by at least three Bobolink seen early this morning from Red Hill Road just above inflow delta willow thicket.

Wilson's Snipe were still winnowing when the posted photo was taken from the new observation platform along a just built 1/3 mile section of trail in the Brewery Flats open space area. There is now an eight vehicle parking area off Roundhouse Road - adjacent to the still visible on Google Earth footprint of the turntable and work-bay rays of the long gone roundhouse. Bird identification and railroad history kiosks are planned.

Multiple Spotted Sandpiper were noted yesterday during a down/up kayak paddle on the Machler Re-hab reach below town. Section seems to be perfectly engineered for the current high flow with the level just at the top of the root-wads. The few nests that I have seen of this species have always been well up in the grass.

Mike Lesnik
Lewistown
CMR 220 Rd next week - maybe

Join us on Facebook!