Date: 6/24/18 6:43 am
From: Mark Greenfield <sauviemark...>
Subject: [obol] How should Oregon birders organize?

Joel Geier is absolutely right. Bird conservation must be front and center.

I serve on the Board of the Audubon Society of Portland and have been a member of that organization since the early 1980s. Our mission it to “inspire people from all walks of life to enjoy, understand, and protect native birds and wildlife, and the natural environment upon which we all depend.” Or put another way, “to love and protect nature.”

Everyone on OBOL loves birds. For that very reason, everyone on OBOL should want to protect the habitats birds depend on. This is the main reason I support organizations like Portland Audubon, American Bird Conservancy, The Nature Conservancy and other conservancies. Birders can support these organizations through donations, memberships, advocacy, and simple environmental education (reminding fellow birders, especially young birders, that without the habitat, there are no birds).

Thank you, Joel, for bringing this issue to our attention.

Mark Greenfield
Sauvie Island

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:

> Now that we've thoroughly discussed the "HOW" end of this question, I
> thought I'd put the "WHY" question out there. Perhaps these issues are
> more fundamental.
>
> What should be the goals and purpose of a statewide birding
> organization?
>
> The discussion on OBOL so far has mainly stressed the social aspects.
> Caleb's post on this was certainly eloquent. A few have also mentioned
> scientific angles.
>
> I agree, these things are important. But I'm disappointed that no one
> mentioned bird conservation.
>
> Just speaking for myself, personally, I see no point in putting energy
> into an organization that doesn't put bird conservation front and
> center.
>
> This recent article from High Country News provides an interesting and
> sobering perspective on outdoor recreation in general. Although
> "birdwatching" gets a favorable mention, I wonder if "birding" as it's
> practiced nowadays really fits into the preconceptions of the author.
>
> https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.8/recreation-your-stoke-wont-save-us
>
> Bottom line, we need to be putting some energy back into the resource
> that we all enjoy. What organization is doing that for birders in
> Oregon?
>
> --
> Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of CorvallisMark Greenfield
Sauvie Island, Oregon
<sauviemark...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>