Date: 6/23/18 2:24 pm
From: Tim Janzen <tjanzen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: How should Oregon birders organize?
Dear Alan,

My first pair of binoculars that I birded with in the 1980s were a pair of Tascos that looked a lot like your pair. I may still have them around somewhere in a closet. I like to think of birders as being on a spectrum from the very hard core to the causal wildlife observer who simply enjoys seeing birds in the wild or in their own backyard. I don’t see this changing much in the future. There are certain sports or hobbies that have at least partially fallen out of favor over the past 50 years such as stamp collecting and coin collecting. Others are now much more common than they were 50 years ago such as playing video games. I think that OBOL is a great resource for the intermediate to hard core birders in Oregon. Facebook groups are clearly coming to dominate the scene for some of the other hobbies I am involved in. E-mail lists such as OBOL will continue to play a role, but Facebook has a broader audience and so it is important for birders in Oregon to have a presence there too. I think that the OBA needs to remain as active as it can even if the membership decreases to a certain extent due to factors such as younger birders being less inclined to join organizations. I believe that there is a need for statewide birding associations above and beyond the local Audubon chapters.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen