Date: 6/23/18 1:30 pm
From: Kai Frueh <kaifrueh2...>
Subject: [obol] Re: How should Oregon birders organize?
Hi everyone,
I think this is a great question. I am 15 and have been birding for about 4
years. I don't feel I can speak that well for older people, but I have some
thoughts about younger birders.

As a young birder I would like to see more young people birding. I know of
16 young birders in Oregon, though there are probably a few more that are
"hiding". In Oregon that means that roughly 1/35,000 youth bird! That is a
really small percent. I would like to see more outreach to younger people.
I know there are bird camps for youth, but they don't seem to draw youth
into the birding community. What Julia said I think is very common, I think
there is quite a bit of interest in birds among youth, but they don't know
where to turn. Quite often, they don't know any birders, and most
organizations target older people, which discourages some youth. I would
like to see a young birder club get started, with field trips for youth.
I don't use any social media, but I know that most youth these days do, so
maybe having some presence there would be effective.
I have started an online email group for Oregon young birders under 20. If
you know of a young birder in Oregon that would be interested in joining or
are interested in starting a young birders club, please let me know.

As for OBOL and Oregon birds (OB) magazine, I love both! I don't see
anything replacing OBOL, and I love the people on it. I always look forward
to getting OB, I really like that it is printed, because I prefer to read
printed stuff over stuff online. That saying, I wonder if there would be a
way to get an online subscription, if more people would read it. Also, some
have mentioned that we young folk don't care as much about the magazine. I
know at least 5 out of the 16 young birders in Oregon, write for the field
notes, plus a number of them have written other articles as well (including
myself). I think having the magazine published 4 times a year might be
asking for to much, because getting the magazines out twice a year seems
hard enough.

As for conservation, I would agree that conservation should be a major
priority, though I am not sure if OBA wants to take that role. I think of
it as a place for birders to connect. I would argue that connecting birders
to each other as well as getting people into birding helps conservation. I
know that the young birders I have gotten to know, about 3/4 of them went
into conservation or bird related carriers. I love using eBird and I think
it's great resource for conservation. I do get that not everyone likes
using eBird, and that is totally fine. I see that there are some things
that are not perfect, but the people at eBird are working hard to improve
it. eBird is big data, and I think it will help us to better understand and
help birds in the future. I think that more of bird conservation in the
future will be done on line. As I write, eBird has had 29,595,140 complete
checklist submitted into its data base, which is amazing in my opinion.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, and in case you are wondering why I knew the
numbers of young birders, it's because I have written an article about how
we can encourage more youth to bird to be published in the fall issue of
Oregon Birds, plus there will be more young birder interviews of some up
and coming ornithologists!

Good birding,

Kai Frueh
Young birder