Date: 6/23/18 7:12 am
From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Budgeriar eBird Submissions
Joe,

This is a confusing topic for lots of folks. The use of "domestic" in the
eBird taxonomy is tied to distinctive phenotypes, and not necessarily birds
that aren't actually wild. There is a whole paragraph (search for
"Domestics") on the following eBird webpage that goes over this:

https://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1006825-the-ebird-taxonomy

I'm sure many/most (all?) Budgerigars that are in pet stores are
phenotypically different than wild ones but I can also imagine that there
could be a couple here and there that look pretty close plumage/color-wise
to wild birds where "Budgerigar" is the correct choice over "Budgerigar
(Domestic type)".

The main part of that is just education, for both reviewers and eBird
users, in knowing/remembering that 1) there is a "(Domestic type)" option
for a given species and 2) that this only to be used for birds that are
phenotypically distinct. I can't say its a huge problem though. In 2018
for Texas, there have been 51 submissions for "Budgerigar (Domestic type)"
and 6 for "Budgerigar", and none of the non-domestic types have been
validated.

--Eric

Eric Carpenter
Austin, TX