Date: 6/23/18 6:40 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: NEST BOXES STILL ACTIVE AT BEAVER LAKE NURSERY POND
The bird boxes around Beaver Lake Nursery Pond are checked and maintained by volunteers from Northwest Arkansas Master Naturalists. When I was there on June 21, I had the pleasure to meet two of these volunteers at work: Glenna Pickens and Hal Johnson. Tree Swallows and Eastern Bluebirds are the main occupants of these boxes, but also at times Prothonotary Warblers. The walk on the pond levee is around 1-mile.

My bird list for a couple of easy hours included Wood Duck (3), Double-crested Cormorant (1; unusual here at this time), Great Blue Heron (4), Green Heron (1), Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Killdeer, Mourning Dove, Yellow-billed Cuckoo (3), Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-headed Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Acadian Flycatcher, Eastern Wood-Pewee, White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue Jay, Fish Crow, Tree Swallow (active nests), Northern Rough-winged Swallow (6, including at least 2 fledglings), Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Bluebird (adults and fledglings), Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler, Pine Warbler, Summer Tanager, Chipping Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, Orchard Oriole, American Goldfinch. The Orchard Orioles included both the year-old males that look like Bullock's Oriole and regular brick red and black males.

The nursery pond is free and open to the public. Foot traffic only.

I chose June 21 for this trip because on June 21, 1990, I saw 20 Willets at the pond, early migrants for sure. None on this trip, but Iíll check today again.

Join us on Facebook!