Date: 6/23/18 5:42 am
From: Dennis Skillman <d.skillman...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Purple Martin update - Seabrook and Hampton
Cross Beach Road Seabrook: Marsha, Gino, Rose, Pat, Suzanne, Warren, Dennis

59 eggs and 27 hatchlings = 86 (last week there were 73 eggs)

Looking at each nest, we gained 17 eggs and lost 4 eggs for a net gain of
13. The hatched birds were all in the 1-2 day old range. They are very
vulnerable at this stage, and the cold weather today is concerning.

All gourds are occupied and egg laying is likely complete. The hatched
birds will fledge in 4 weeks. To avoid premature fledging we will stop doing
nest checks after the next 2 weeks. Pat reports that the Martins are trying
to get in the swallow boxes, but without success so the swallow box
replacement has worked. This behavior has been observed every season, and we
saw some of it yesterday. A max count of 32 Martins was observed.

Island Path Road, Hampton: Gino, Rose, Suzanne, Warren, Dennis

Nothing! Even the House Sparrows have given up!

Observed 3 Chimney Swifts flying over the area.

Dennis