Date: 6/22/18 1:10 pm
From: Peterson, Bruce B. <peterson...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Middlebury goodies and a mystery
We live in the Fields Road development behind Hannaford. The woods immediately to our south have been buzzing. Yesterday a brown thrasher and a red-bellied woodpecker first singing (or calling) and then seen well. Also a green heron flying west from Hannaford toward Otter Creek. Besides the breeding warblers, I heard a clear Blackpoll – last of the season?

Now the mystery – a clear rolling warbler song. Had I been in New Jersey I would have called it a Kentucky immediately. But I could never get a look at it. It did not sound like the obvious and much commoner confusers, ovenbird and Carolina Wren. I know there are lots of young birds around singing broken songs and lots of alternate songs, but I’ve never heard anything else close to this song. Are there any recent records of Kentucky’s in Vermont?

Bruce Peterson

Join us on Facebook!