Date: 6/22/18 7:01 am
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Clarion County - Cook Forest trip
All,

Yesterday, I took a yearly June trip to Cook Forest, and this time I kept a hard count of certain species (sorry, eBird, if I keep track of every single bird I encounter, it is no longer a fun bird trip; it is a research point count...). For the last few years, the number of Blackburnian Warblers has been intriguingly high. Here are the highlights of the nearly 60 species I had there. I have a couple of eBirded reports on there. I birded the campground (very briefly), the Fire Tower loop, Tom's Run one-way, the Boy Scout area one-way, back to the park office, and then walked the Longfellow Trail and the Tom's Run trail 2 miles.

Blackburnian Warbler - 39

Magnolia Warbler - 25

Black-throated Green Warbler - 40

Northern Parula - 3

Common Yellowthroat - 6

Ovenbird - 8

Black-throated Blue Warbler - 8

Pine Warbler - 6

Hooded Warbler - 1

Barred Owl - 3 young out of nest on Troutman Run Road, all vocalizing around/above the car

Broad-winged Hawk - 1

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 above mountain across from park office

Red-tailed Hawk - 1

Brown Creeper - 11 - more than I think I've ever had in one day. 10 were singing, one calling, spread out all over

Hermit Thrush - 12

Wood Thrush - 2

Cliff, Barn & Northern Rough-winged Swallows at the bridge over the river

Least Flycatcher - 2

Common Raven - 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1

Blue-headed Vireo - 20+

I had very similar numbers of BLBW, MAWA and BTNW two weeks ago in the spruce belt in Pocahontas County, WV. Go where they are, and they'll be there!

Cheers,

Ryan Tomazin, Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!