Date: 6/22/18 6:34 am
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Upcoming Field Trips
Below are details for the next two months of field trips sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas (ASCA).  Anyone interested in birds is welcome to join us.  You don't have to be an ASCA members.  The trips are a great way to meet other birders from around the state.  It will be hot for both trips so be prepare with water, hats, and sunblock.  If you have questions about the trips, please feel free to contact me off-list.  For more information about ASCA, go to our website at http://www.ascabird.org./ We have monthly meetings with great speakers, plus an interesting and informative quarterly newsletter "The Snipe.Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock
 July 14Dr. Lester SitzesIII Bois D’Arc WMAHope, HempsteadCountyMeetat 7:00 a.m. at the south end of the commuter parking lot at the I-630/I-430intersection at Shackleford Road in Little Rock.  We’ll stop at the McDonald's in Hope (Exit 30off I-30) around 8:45 a.m. for those in south Arkansas who would like to joinus.  Look for Great-tailed Grackles at McDonald's.  We should arrive at the BoisD’Arc WMA at 9:15 a.m.  Our target birdswill be Purple and Common Gallinules and their chicks, Least Bitterns,Anhingas, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, herons, egrets, and possibly analligator or two!  Very little walkingwill be involved.  Bring scopes, plentyof water, and snacks.  You can head home after the trip, or there areseveral restaurants in Hope if you want to eat lunch in town.  BoisD‘Arc WMA is located 10 miles south of Hope. Take Exit 30 off I-30 and go east. Continue past McDonald’s, then under the railroad overpass.  At the light at the big intersection, turnright onto Hwy. 67.  Go 1/3 of amile.  At the brown sign, turn left ontoHwy. 174.  Take Hwy. 174 south 6 miles tothe 3-way stop sign at Spring Hill.  Turnright onto Hwy. 355.  Go west for 4miles.  Turn right at the white woodenWMA sign just before the highway ends in the lake.  Follow the paved road, then turn left onto thefirst gravel road and go down to the lake. GPS: 33.558062, -93.694239 August 25Bald Knob NationalWildlife RefugeBald Knob, WhiteCountyMeet at 7:00 a.m. in North Little Rock in the Other Center parking lot onthe east side behind McDonald’s.  TheOther Center is on McCain Blvd. across from McCain Mall.  Take Exit 1 west off US-67/167.  We’ll arrive at Bald Knob NWR around 8:30a.m. for those who want to meet us there. Look for the line of cars parked on Coal Chute Road.  This federal refuge is also a NationalAudubon Important Bird Area.  We expectto find shorebirds, herons, night-herons, egrets, and possibly Wood Storks andRoseate Spoonbills.  It will be very hotso bring plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, and a hat.  If you have a scope, bring it.  Very little walking will be involved.  There is no bathroom on-site.  There is a McDonald’s just off Hwy. 67/167 atBald Knob Exit 55.  Go to www.fws.gov/baldknob/ for drivingdirections and more information about the refuge.  GPS: 35.260233, -91.571903

Join us on Facebook!