Date: 6/21/18 1:09 pm
From: Christine Hammond via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] new birder with Scarlet Tanager question
Hello CT Birders,

I am a very new birder, so new that I just figured out how to focus my binoculars during the Bird-a-thon a few weeks ago. I am fortunate that our home is bordered by Cockaponset State Forest in Chester near both the Deep River and Killingworth town lines. I have several feeders out and two days ago, what I thought was a strange looking Baltimore Oriole showed up, but did not feed. It was brilliant orange, with black wings, but no other markings. Now I’m wondering if I saw a Scarlet Tanager that was an orange variant. Is that possible? I am still learning and next time will grab my phone to take a photo, but at the time, that did not occur to me. All part of being a newbie. I’d love some feedback, if anyone has a minute of time!

Many thanks,

Christy Hammond
Chester, CT