Date: 6/21/18 9:25 am
From: Walt Webb <wwebb24...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fledgling Waxwings in Medfield
Much to her surprise, my Medfield gardening friend discovered fledgling
Cedar Waxwings in her back yard, along with the now empty nest in a small
maple tree. The cup-shaped nest had what looked like pellets of wool or
fuzzy fiber woven throughout the exterior of the nest. Only later did we
recall that earlier my friend had hung a purchased sack of wool pellets from
the same tree in hopes that birds might use them for nest material.

Yesterday (June 20) we viewed the parent birds along with several young
active in the yard. Normally Cedar Waxwings are seen together in the late
summer or fall feeding on berries. This is the first time I've ever observed
these birds nesting!

Walt Webb
Westwood, MA
<wwebb24...>