Date: 6/21/18 5:57 am
From: Andrew Baksh <birdingdude...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (JBWR) East Pond Water Level Status for Shorebirding Season...
National Park Service (NPS) management and JBWR refuge staff have been keeping me updated on this year’s efforts and progress on an early East Pond drawdown. Today, I confirmed that the Pond is shaping up quite nicely by schelping up from the south end to the north. Note: this does not mean we have shoreline for sneakers - yes, people have asked me in the past. Knee high boots as always and there are still many soft spots under above ankle water.

Most of the wider access points on the south end west side are already cleared thanks to NPS. I will try and clear out the ones on the south end east side and take a look at the north end as time permits. The fence on the south end is still there so visitors will need to continue walking around to get to the other side to access the pond. Please, let’s not blow up the list serve with “the sky is falling posts” about the fence. It has been there for 1 season now and we have dealt with it while NPS management sorts out the legality.

Given the staff turnover at the refuge, I am reluctant to get too overjoyed but I think we are close to having a dynamic process in place to managing the water levels and preparing the trails for East Pond usage. Big up to NPS, Rick Jenkins, Timothy Farrell, Matt and all the crew from maintenance who were open to suggestions and have worked to make things more efficient.

Oh yeah, there are birds to report too. Notables included: A banded Glossy Ibis, Eastern Willet, Greater Yellowlegs, a few Black Skimmers, American Oystercatchers, Bonaparte Gulls (2) and a Black-billed Cuckoo.

Cheers,

“Never going back on your word no matter what and never giving up despite what the odds may tell you to do. That is the Shinobi way.” - Gamma Sennin.
--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain