Date: 6/20/18 8:08 pm
From: Mik Oyler <oylermik...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Huntington Ravine MBW
A belated report from my Mountain Birdwatch Survey on the Raymond Path in
Huntington Ravine last Sunday. Starting on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail at
3:15AM, the first bird call at almost exactly 4AM along the Huntington
Ravine Trail was appropriately a Bicknell's Thrush, closely followed by a
Swainson's Thrush. Roughly 6 Bicknell's were singing near the junction with
the Raymond Path around 4:10AM. Started the survey at 4:25AM greeted by a
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and Boreal Chickadee pair...off I went!

I was disappointed in the low number of Bicknell's Thrush at my survey
points, and concerned with the consistent presence of Red Squirrels, but it
was still a fantastic morning. A single Red Crossbill and multiple groups
of Pine Siskin were fun. The surprise for me was a consistently vocal
Bay-breasted Warbler about a 1/3 of a mile east from the junction on the
Raymond Path. I was also happy to find a Canada Warbler along the Tuckerman
Ravine Trail on my way back down. Complete Checklist is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46690644

Being unable to volunteer on an MBW route the last 3 years, this rewarded
and re-energized me for many future years to come. I strongly urge all
regional birders physically able to hike to consider taking a route next
year. It's important citizen science and an experience you'll never forget
or regret!

Mik Oyler
North Conway, NH