Date: 6/20/18 3:35 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] Wednesday birders visited Green Ridge springs
Always difficult to leave Whiskey Springs but we eventually got to Bear
and Thorn Springs today. Our group was a perfect size and a nice mix of
birders to enjoy being tucked away together with the birds.
We didn't have "all" of our warblers but we had excellent and repeated
views of Black-throated Gray. Hermit and Townsend's - like warblers did
not stay in view long enough for checking field marks carefully. Both
Cassin's and Warbling Vireos were present and Warbling did some fun
fluttering over the water basin a number of times, showing us how it is
done. Both hummingbirds also hovered around the spill-over area of the
tub. Multiple Purple and Cassin's Finches kept us on our toes trying to
ID them and some probably were best left as un-identified. Some
impressive photographers were in the group so perhaps some mysteries
will be solved later.

Thanks to Evan for ebirding today. Thanks to Bob W at Timber Services
for allowing birding at Whiskey. If you don't know how to find these
springs, the ECAS website has all the answers. ecaudubon.org In the
non-bird department, several bull Elk left Whiskey area as we
approached, Sherrie found a blue staining mushroom, a bitter bolete, at
Bear Springs, and we had a blue Bi-colored Cluster Lily or a Brodiaea at
Thorn Springs. Well, also a bunch of knapweed there which needs work of
many hands at some point. Next week, Gray Butte, Rimrock Springs,
Crooked River Grasslands.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Turkey Vulture
Unidentified Accipiter
Red-tailed Hawk
Eurasian Collared-Dove - Village Greens in Sisters
Mourning Dove
Calliope Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Williamson's Sapsucker - Bear Springs
Western Wood-Pewee
Cassin's Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Common Raven
Mountain Chickadee - some with barely a white supercillium so recently
fledged perhaps
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Nashville Warbler - only briefly seen by 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
+Townsend's Warbler - briefly seen by a few
+Hermit Warbler - briefly seen by most
+++ The above two should probably be recorded as HETOs
MacGillivray's Warbler
Western Tanager
Chipping Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Purple Finch
Cassin's Finch
Pine Siskin
Total number of species seen: 30
Birders today: Paul Sullivan, Denise Fainberg, Mary Shivell, Dave Rein,
Mark Newdorfer, Evan Thomas, Sherrie Pierce, Jan Landau, Peter and Toni
Morozumi, Judy Meredith. Good birding, Judy, <jmeredit...>