Date: 6/20/18 11:20 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Deer Grove East (Again) Wed 6-20-18
Hello Bird People,

Made another visit here in the hopes of finally seeing a Sedge Wren &,
wonder of wonders, I saw one. Other highlights included a Least
Bittern & a family of 3 Sandhill Cranes. Here's my list:

Deer Grove East (7:15-10:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (1 adult & 2 flightless young at a nest & 1 more adult nearby)
Green Heron (1 feeding & 2 fly-bys)
LEAST BITTERN (1 calling & briefly seen)
Mallard (4)
SANDHILL CRANE (2 adults with 1 smaller young one which was about
2/3's the size of the adults)
Red Headed Woodpecker (4)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (3)
Flicker (4)
Eastern Pewee (4, in the woods)
Willow Flycatcher (2)
Great Crested Flycatcher (1)
Eastern Kingbird (2)
Tree (8) & Barn (10) Swallows
Blue Jay (2 adults & 1 half sized young one)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-1)
SEDGE WREN (1, singing in the middle of a field)
Marsh Wren (4-5, saw 2, last time I only had 1)
Robins (~10)
Gray Catbird (H-1)
Cedar Waxwing (2)
Starling (~25)
Warbling Vireo (H-3)
Yellow Throated Vireo (H-1)
Red Eyed Vireo (H-1, in the woods)
Common Yellowthroat (6-7)
Cardinal (3)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1-M)
Indigo Bunting (3)
Song Sparrow (6)
(No Field, Henslow's, Grasshopper or Savannah Sparrows today?)
Red Wings (~20) & Grackles (6)
Baltimore Oriole (2)
Goldfinch (only 2)

I don't know if the Crane family just arrived or had nested here as I
had not seen them before.
Also, I don't know if the young one could fly which would mean it
could have flown in. Maybe someone saw them before & could let us know
that.

Also, thanks go to Carolyn Fields for general directions to where she
heard a Sedge Wren.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Crane family especially the young one which was
a much lighter color than the 2 adults. Runners-Up to the Bittern &
the Sedge Wren.

Al Stokie
In western Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>