Date: 6/19/18 11:10 am
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Blue-throated Hummingbird at Junction
Thanks, Rhandy. I stopped by yesterday at 3:15 PM on my way home from
BBSing and work. Not surprisingly, I did not see it at the camp host's
feeders in my allotted 30 minutes.

There are now 2 ABA records of Amethyst-throated Hummingbird; one late July
2016 in Quebec, Canada and Kelly Bryan's bird at Davis Mountains Resort in
Jeff Davis County in mid-October 2016.

My point is, any out-of-range Blue-throated Hummingbird should be closely
scrutinized and not taken so lightly. Well-documenting a vagrant
Blue-throated Hummingbird during the breeding season is equally as
important, in order to document a bird likely fleeing a drought-stressed
breeding area.

Good birding!
Justin Bosler
Austin, TX

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 12:48 PM, Rhandy Helton <rjhelton...>
wrote:

> I believe Peter Keyel was the first to report the Blue-throated
> Hummingibird and here is his description of about 10 days ago:
>
> Female. Large hummingbird with limited white behind eye and below eye.
> Overall more grayish than BCHU. White edges to large dark tail. Much larger
> than BCHU present. Too much white in face rules out Rivoli's Hummingbird.
> Large size, not enough white and dark bill rules out White-eared
> Hummingbird. Not enough white for Plain-capped Starthroat.
>
> Agarita blind. Present for 5 sec then would disappear for quite some time
> (eg 10 to 50 min). Other photographer present got a picture, but was too
> fast for me.
>

> I have not seen, nor has park office personnel, a photograph of the bird.
> I have not seen the bird but it had been somewhat regular at the Agarita
> Bird Blind behind the park office and also at park host feeders a short
> flight distance from Agarita Blind. These feeders are at the host RV's near
> the park maintenance building. I have tried to ascertain the best time for
> the bird and from ebird posts thought late p.m. however this morning park
> personnel told me a number of observers said 8:30-10:00 a.m. is best and
> may be more reliable at the park host feeders. They were trying to
> photograph but have not heard if successful. As to the possibility of
> Amethyst-throated Hummingbird I have seen nothing to address that issue.
> The descriptions I have read seemed to fit Blue-throated but I have no
> experience with the one that would be much more rare (1 US record I
> believe--Kelly Bryan's bird). Martin Hagne was in Agarita blind a lot this
> past weekend and did not see the bird.
>
> Rhandy J. Helton
> Junction, Texas

Join us on Facebook!