Date: 6/19/18 9:07 am
From: Sean S <therefromhere168...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] BCNH roosting colony on Casco Bay islands?
Sorry, just reporting this now, and it should be amusing when I try to
enter the data on eBird. Friday afternoon/evening (the 15th) between 7:15
and 8:15sh PM, Jeff Webb and I saw 19 flyover BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS
from the Spring Point trail that runs through the SMCC campus. We both
had binoculars, it was still quite bright and sunny out, all the birds were
very identifiable, and some could be heard calling ("kwok"). A couple flew
by themselves but most were in small flocks of 3-5.

Almost all were heading from the direction of Peaks and Greater Diamond
Island, and flying overhead in a southwesterly direction, toward inland
from our vantage point. Only one pair flew in the opposite direction,
toward the islands. None landed on the shore near SMCC, as a few often do
when evening approaches. I think it's safe to say that none of these birds
were repeat flyovers, either, as the way these small groups were flying was
very direct and linear... not milling around as gulls, for example would.
Additionally none of our counts for adults to subadults matched for any of
the flocks that went over.

There were also 43 Common Eider ducklings seen with adults in the same
vicinity, not far offshore.

Sean Smith