Date: 6/19/18 8:59 am
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Re: ???Pinyon Jay(s)??? at Grassy Hollow Visitor Center???
I got an email from a friend suggesting White-breasted Nuthatch (which did occur to me when I was there, so while there, I listened to calls of various nuthatch species on my phone's Sibley app; none of them matched) . However, the phone apps don't have all the calls, so I just spent a good half an hour listening to nuthatches and Pinyon Jays on www.xeno-canto.org<http://www.xeno-canto.org> and keep circling back to Pinyon Jay.

The calls I heard are labeled "begging calls" by the recordists who uploaded them.

Unlike the typical nasal "Weh! Weh! Weh! Weh! Weh!" calls that are on Peterson bird sound CDs, the Sibley app, etc., these calls could be described as a smooth, round "Hop?!?"

Tom Miko

Claremont

909.241.3300