Date: 6/18/18 10:31 pm
From: Scott Heppel <scott.heppel...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] Red-necked Phalarope, Divide Lake, Gallatin County, June 18 [1 Attachment]
Returning from Hebgen Lake to Big Sky on Hwy 191, we stopped at Divide Lake about 7:40 pm this evening. The water level in the lake, which in recent years has sometimes gone completely dry in the summer, is now at the highest level we have seen it in over 20 years. We pass it several times a week. Recently, there have been only a few Canada Geese seen on this small body of water. However, this afternoon, we found the following:

5 Red-necked Phalarope
4 Barrow’s Goldeneye
2 Common Mergansers
7 Mallards
4 Canada Geese

Further north along Hwy 191, between mile markers 25 and 26, we saw a single Sandhill Crane on the West side of the road and a hawk which appears to be a Red-tailed (see below) perched on the east side of the road. Confirmation or contradiction of this ID would be appreciated.

Also we stopped briefly at the Beaver Ponds on the Gallatin River just North of Snowflake Springs. This area has lost a lot of water. Many of the beaver dams have been breached and the beaver lodge is now well above the water level. We are not sure what happened, but the result is a lot fewer waterfowl than have used this little wetland area in the past. We did see one resident adult Bald Eagle just downstream, and we saw both adults this morning on the way South.

Scott Heppel
<scott.heppel...> <mailto:<scott.heppel...>
Gallatin County
18-June-2018

Join us on Facebook!