Date: 6/18/18 7:09 pm
From: Kali Bird Isis <abrushwithfire...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Re: Not often on birder's radars: white privilege
I’m a fb friend of Drew’s as well and I have long appreciated his extensive
knowledge, his tremendously gorgeous photos and videos, his eloquent blog,
and his wonderful sense of humor.
I hadn’t seen this video and it brings yet another layer of awareness to
what my own privilege looks like and how blithely I take it for granted.
Thank you so much for sharing it.
Kali

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:26 PM Delia Guzman <dguzman1964...> wrote:

> I honed my own Barred Owl call by listening to Drew's, Medea! He's long
> been a facebook friend, and I'm hoping to bird with him someday soon. He
> was on Hog Island this past weekend, but I was home with my infant son.
>
> As a Latinx woman, I am often the only person of color in birding groups
> and at festivals, so I know a small bit about what Drew's talking
> about--but only a small bit, as I'm a fairly light-skinned woman. It's
> thought-provoking stuff. Has anyone heard about the group Outdoor Afro?
> Check them out on Facebook--they're doing good work.
>
> Delia in Brunswick
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 6:20 PM, wrenyen <medea.steinman...> wrote:
>
>> Craig,
>> Thanks for posting this. Maybe we're on the same science/education lists
>> because that video came to my attention last week--can't remember how I
>> happened onto it.
>> The same wildlife ecologist (J. Drew Lanham) also had an article about
>> trying to do a BBS as a black man.
>> https://lithub.com/birding-while-black/. Pretty disturbing stuff--hard
>> to focus on the birds and the enjoyment while worrying about possible
>> violence. He clearly tries to keep his sense of humor but he shouldn't
>> have to be thinking about this. Thought provoking and good awareness
>> building for us white-folk birders.
>> Sounds like it would be fun to go birding with him--good barred owl call
>> in that video. Wish I could do that.
>> Thanks again,
>> Medea
>>
>> On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 3:58:31 PM UTC-4, Craig Kesselheim wrote:
>>>
>>> Birding friends - I am sharing this in the spirit of an informational
>>> and non-political perspective on our shared passion; I hope that's OK
>>> within the listserv community. I don't need replies unless you wish to, and
>>> I'm happy to receive those off-list. From where I sit it seems like the
>>> community of birders in the world is not yet representative of who lives in
>>> our towns and our region.
>>>
>>> This is a 2-minute video called "Birding While Black
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPWAE34GJU>." It showed me yet
>>> another way that I don't have to be reminded of my race: when I step out of
>>> the house wearing a hoodie and carrying binoculars. For me it was important
>>> food for thought and action.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Craig K
>>>
>> --
>> email to maine-birds+<unsubscribe...>
>>

> --
> email to maine-birds+<unsubscribe...>

*“Once upon a time, when women were birds, there was the simple
understanding that to sing at dawn and to sing at dusk was to heal the
world through joy. The birds still remember what we have forgotten, that
the world is meant to be celebrated.” *
*~Terry Tempest Williams*