Date: 6/18/18 3:30 pm
From: Childs, Jackson <jchilds...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Probable Bay-breasted/Blackpoll hybrid, Bald Mountain, ME
Hi,

Yesterday (6/17/18) I observed a probable Bay-breasted/Blackpoll hybrid near the summit of Bald Mountain. I was able to get some shots of it and made a short video highlighting the plumage characteristics that, I think, clinch the identification:

https://youtu.be/Fx3Z44gP368

I couldn't get a good recording of his song but it sounded like a fairly typical Blackpoll in New Hampshire song.

Bald Mountain is a delightful climb with spectacular views. I was able to see the outline of the Presidential range to the southwest and, it seemed to me, Katahdin to the northeast. Ravens were skydancing in the updrafts. The Rangeley lakes area is just wonderful to visit this time of year.

Jackson Childs
<jchilds...>
Arlington, MA

Join us on Facebook!