Date: 6/18/18 1:51 pm
From: Alison Wagner <alikatofvt...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Killdeer Mini-me(s)
Fellow Birders,

Some people say birding in June is slow...

A few weeks back, a Hinesburg Community School middle schooler witnessed a pair of Killdeer copulating on the flat roof where they nest every year in a divot of small pebbles. Then today, several of my co-workers and I enjoyed watching four Killdeer Mini-me(s) sprint back and forth along the roof edge of the “1958-wing,” a single story section that abuts a taller part of the school. They looked to be two or three days out. These poufy chicks on stilts, vibrant and sure- footed, raced and darted Killdeer-style along the inside edge of the roof where the taller building casts a shadow. Here, moss covered pebbles must harbor some tasty morsels, as the chicks appeared to be plucking at things. Occasionally a chick would leap up, perhaps to raid a spider web of some tidbit worth the effort. By 2:15 in the afternoon, three of the four chicks had made the plunge to earth by literally walking into thin air, landing with a bounce in the preschool play area (how appropriate). With a few people-made obstacles to maneuver next, the chicks will hopefully make it to safer grounds where they will only need to deal with nature’s hurdles....good luck, little ones!

Ali
Huntington

Join us on Facebook!