Date: 6/18/18 6:31 am
From: 'Ellen Morosoff Pemrick' <lnmp...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Field trip report - Galway Nature Preserve
Ten of us visited Galway Nature Preserve Sunday morning for an HMBC field
trip. The first birds of the day were right in the preserve parking lot:
an Eastern Phoebe with a large insect in its bill, a swooping Tree Swallow,
and a vocal Red-Bellied Woodpecker. Oddly enough, the Red-Bellied
Woodpecker and a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker seen by some members of the group
were the only woodpeckers we encountered all day.

Warbler species were rather sparse. We heard several Ovenbirds, Common
Yellowthroats, and Chestnut-Sided Warblers, and enjoyed nice views of the
one of the Ovenbirds on a snag. We heard but did not see Indigo Bunting,
and most of the group observed a singing Scarlet Tanager.

For the second year in a row, an Eastern Wood-Pewee's nest was found, albeit
in a different location from last year.

Other highlights included a Broad-Winged Hawk flying over a pond; singing
Veery and Wood Thrush; and a Bobolink in the adjacent farm fields.

Thanks for Naomi for compiling the eBird report below.

Galway Nature Preserve, Saratoga, New York, US

Jun 17, 2018 8:00 AM - 10:20 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments: HMBC field trip

33 species (+2 other taxa)

Mallard 5

Great Blue Heron 2

Turkey Vulture 1

Northern Harrier 1 circling high over fields

Broad-winged Hawk 1

Mourning Dove 3

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1

diurnal raptor sp. 1

Eastern Wood-Pewee 3

Empidonax sp. 1

Eastern Phoebe 1 Nesting in eaves of shed

Red-eyed Vireo 3

Blue Jay 2

American Crow 2

Tree Swallow 3