Date: 6/18/18 6:04 am
From: Jennifer Coulson <jenniferocoulson...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Eaglet Left Behind?
Also, an eaglet standing on the edge of the nest and flapping its wings is
normal behavior for a near-fledging-age eaglet. This is how it builds
flight muscle and coordination before actually taking flight. But, that
doesn't mean that something hasn't gone wrong.

Jennifer

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 7:59 AM, Jennifer Coulson <
<jenniferocoulson...> wrote:

> Michael and LABIRD:
>
> It is possible that something happened to one or both parents. It is very
> unlikely that both parents are fine and have abandoned their young. But my
> educated guess is that the eaglet is fine. When an eaglet is at fledging
> age, the parents quickly drop off food and may only visit the nest to bring
> in food once a day, so it would be difficult to detect whether the parents
> are still feeding the eaglet. I will need more information before
> determining whether a rescue is in order, so please have your in-laws call
> me: (504) 717-3544 (cell).
>
> Jennifer Coulson
> President
> Orleans Audubon Society
> www.jjaudubon.net
>
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Michael LeRay <leray1...> wrote:
>
>> My in-laws have an eagle nest behind their home and claim there is an
>> eaglet in it but the parents are gone. They say it stands on the edge of
>> the est and flaps its wings but it has never flown and it's been by itself
>> for about 2 weeks. Is it possible that it's still alive after two weeks
>> without food? Should it be rescued?

Join us on Facebook!