Date: 6/17/18 11:49 pm
From: David Wright <dwmea...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Tropical Parula Ramsey Canyon 17 June 18
Rolling in to the Ramsey Canyon parking lot at 10:15 AM and finding five
empty spaces seemed like a good omen. About 1/2 - 2/3 of the way down
from the overlook we met a group of birders who had seen the parula.
It was singing up a storm, but very difficult to locate. When it went
silent, we headed upcanyon past the first stream crossing. Heading back
uphill toward the overlook at about 2 PM we heard the parula singing
almost immediately after the first stream crossing. We had fleeting but
diagnostic glimpses of it in a thin-leaved oak downhill toward the
creek. Eventually the bird came up to an oak right next to the trail
and for nearly 10 minutes provided excellent views for us and two
intrepid lady birders who made the trek to see it.