Date: 6/17/18 5:26 pm
From: Rebecca Suomala <rsuomala2...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Brant and whale watch
Zeke Cornell and I went out on the Granite State's afternoon whale
watch today hoping for a shearwater or two. As Jon Woolf reported
Friday, there were few birds, although the whales were very
cooperative. We had 4 Black Guillemots at the Isles of Shoals near
Star Island and for pelagics, we had 1 Wilson's Storm-Petrel, 6
gannets, and one distant shearwater species. On the morning watch,
they had 1 storm-petrel and 1 Great Shearwater, according to Melanie
the naturalist. For whales we had 4 Minke, 4 Fin, and 2 humpbacks.
According to Captain Pete, they've had a few shearwaters recently but
bird numbers are still low. The water temperature is still cool which
may be a factor.

On the way to boat we had a BRANT at Little Boar's Head - pretty
unusual for summer.

Becky Suomala

Concord, NH

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: