Date: 6/17/18 2:09 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Kankakee River State Park & Midewin/Hoff Road Sunday 6-17-18
Hello Bird People,

Today Bob Erickson & I went to look for land birds at Kankakee River
Park & shrub-land birds at Midewin/Hoff Rd. We did very well at both
places but be warned the mosquitoes are very bad at the state park.
And it was a very warm walk at Midewin.

Kankakee River State Park (7-8 a.m, 1 hour was long enough with all
the mosquitoes!)

It's deep woods here so most of the birds were "heard only" as it was
very hard to see them

Red Tailed Hawk (being chased by Crows)
Yellow Billed Cuckoo (heard 2)
Flicker (1)
Eastern Pewee (heard 4)
Acadian Flycatcher (2)
Great Crested Flycatcher (heard 1)
Blue Jay (heard a few)
Crows (heard a few)
Chickadee (heard 2)
Tufted Titmouse (heard 1)
W.B. Nuthatch (heard 1)
Wood Thrush (heard 2)
Veery (heard 1)
Robins (6-7)
Yellow Throated Vireo (2-3)
Red Eyed Vireo (heard 4)
Ovenbird (heard 1 or 2)
Summer Tanager (1-M)
Cardinal (heard 1)
Indigo Bunting (4)
Eastern Towhee (heard 1)

Midewin/Hoff Road (8:30-10 a.m.)

Pheasant (heard 2)
Turkey Vulture (1 soaring)
Willow Flycatcher (2)
House Wren (1 singing)
Robins (6)
Gray Catbird (2)
Brown Thrasher (2)
Cedar Waxwing (2)
WHITE EYED VIREO (1, I don't think I've ever had this here before!)
BELL'S VIREO (2)
Warbling Vireo (heard 1)
Yellow Warbler (heard 1)
YELLOW BREASTED CHAT (4-5, quite a few today)
Cardinal (heard 1)
Indigo Bunting (4)
BLUE GROSBEAK (1-AD-M, very pretty, didn't find until the very end of the walk)
Dickcissel (2)
Eastern Towhee (2)
Field Sparrow (4)
Song Sparrow (1)
Red Wings (2 along the road)
Grackle (2)
Cowbird (3)
ORCHARD ORIOLE (1-AD-M & 1-1st Yr Male)
Goldfinch (4-6)

Midewin/Explosives Road (10:15-10:30 a.m.)

Just a quick drive along the road got us Eastern Kingbird (1), House
Wren (1), Robins, MOCKINGBIRD (1), Grasshopper Sparrow (2) &
Dickcissel (5)

Bob goes with the White Eyed Vireo as Bird-Of-The-Day as it gave a
good look & was a year bird for him. I will go with the male Blue
Grossbeak as it was very,very nice looking. Runners-Up for me to the
White Eyed Vireo, the Summer Tanager & all the Chats.

Al Stokie
In Will County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: