Date: 6/17/18 11:46 am
From: Mary Jo Ballator <mjballator...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Ash Cyn continuing Montezuma Quail
Two pairs of Montezuma Quail are still appearing twice a day in the blind area. Possibly the best and most consistent time to see them is in the evening. Plan to arrive about 5 p.m. Very often, there are two pairs, and I’m hopeful that some babies may appear soon. Evenings are also best to see multiple Lucifer Hummingbirds, as well as the Scott’s, Bullock’s, and Hooded Orioles, Blue Grosbeaks, Bronzed Cowbirds, and lots of other birds coming in for their late day feed in that same area.

The quail are extremely sensitive to the movements of people in the yard. Please enter the yard quietly, and sit down as soon as possible in the double row of chairs next to the privacy wall. Birders walking around the yard or trying to get close to where they feed will likely cause the quail to leave, or to avoid coming into the yard at all. On the other hand, if undisturbed, the quail will typically spend in excess of 15 minutes in view, and often much more time than that, so patience and stillness on our part is definitely likely to be rewarded.

Mary Jo

Mary Jo Ballator
Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary (formerly Ash Canyon B&B)
5255 E. Spring Road
Hereford, AZ 85615
Web site: ashcanyon.com
520-378-0773
<mjballator...>

Hours: Dawn to dusk daily except Wednesday noon to dusk