Date: 6/17/18 11:14 am
From: Erika Wilson <terika88...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--17 June 2018
Hi, birders,

Three local birders and a visiting CA birder walked the Sierra Vista EOP
dikes this morning. Our group tally was 53 species, right in line with the
past few weeks. Unlike the past few weeks, we saw only a handful of Lesser
Nighthawks at dawn.

Best birds of the day were:
a) a singing male Summer Tanager, only the third record for the EOP. The
tanager did seem a bit out of place, singing from a large mesquite, rather
than a cottonwood along the river.
b) a calling Virginia Rail, which was seen briefly. This bird was in the
same cattail bed as last week, and the same bed from which a Virginia Rail
called during most of June 2017.

There were several families of Lucy's Warblers, and the Red-tailed Hawk
nest atop a communications tower no longer holds youngsters. The most vocal
species today was Blue Grosbeak, with males singing and chasing females
vigorously throughout the morning.

Cheers, Erika Wilson

--
Erika Wilson, Sierra Vista, AZ