Date: 6/16/18 4:03 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Quick Stops At Montrose, 87th & South Shore Dr, Big Marsh & Bartel Grasslands Sat 6-16-18
Hello Bird People,

Unlike the last the last few days where I had no targets but just saw
whatever there was to see today I did only targets & did not do
careful lists of what I saw. So I won't give bird lists from each
location but will just mention highlights.

Montrose Beach & Dunes (6:15-7:30 a.m.)

Much to my surprise the KING RAIL was again in the grasses near the
pier although today it was near the base of the pier. Talk about good
looks! Also seen on the beach was the FRANKLIN'S GULL.

87th Street & South Shore Drive (8:15-8:30 a.m.)

It helps to start at the right place which I did not do as I thought I
heard the Vireo off 86th Street.
But I heard wrong & soon went to 87th Street where the BELL'S VIREO
was singing loudly.
Previous reports from Donnie D & Ted W said the Vireo was south
(slightly) of 87th but today it was just north of 87th Street but very
close to that street.

Big Marsh

Here my target was Common Gallinule but I was in for a surprise as the
parking lot is now signed as pay for parking & not free as before. And
further more there's no place to pay as you are supposed to pay using
a phone app which, I guess, gives you a receipt somehow. This is all
too complicated for me & I don't have a phone so I was scared off by
all the "you will be towed" signs. No more quick stops here I guess.

So I went over to the old viewing area (where it now says No Entry) &
viewed with my scope.
Here I saw Great Blues, Great Egrets, Black Crowned Night Herons,
&,best of all, one LEAST BITTERN flying by. But I had no chance for
the Gallinules. Maybe they will be at Hegewisch again.

Bartel Grasslands/Killdeer Wetlands (10:15-11:45 a.m.)

Ran into Andrew A who said he'd been there for a couple hours without
hearing a Bobwhite so it was unlikely I'd hear one in a short time.
But he had heard 2 Sedge Wrens & that's what I really wanted to see.
Wandered all over the Bartel section as that's were the Sedge Wrens
were but I never found them. I did have Bobolinks, Dickcissels,
Eastern Meadowlarks & Red Wings. Heard Common Yellowthroats & saw Barn
Swallows.

Got back to the car & there was a note from Andrew saying he not only
heard but saw one
Bobwhite at the Bobolink Picnic Area on Central. Hurried over there
but saw nothing. Waited a few minutes & then I heard the Bobwhite call
twice. But I needed to see this bird. After about 15 min of
intermittent calls the BOBWHITE flew into a tree in the lot & sat
there for a few minutes. Then it flew across Central into the grasses
in the Killdeer Wetlands section.

Bobwhites in Cook County are always questionable but this one is where
he should be & I guess there's more than one so it may be a good
sighting. Anyway, it's a good sighting for me as I have had only 1
previous sighting & that was in 1994 when Mike Madsen & I chased one
for for 45 min without ever seeing it. That was at Plum Creek F.P.
where that day we heard 2 Bobwhite but saw neither. So it took 23
years to get a Bobwhite visually & not just heard.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Bobwhite as I'd never seen one in Cook Co before &
Runner-Up to the normally much better bird the King Rail. Sorry King
Rail but I have to do it.

Al Stokie
Target finding in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>